Cork is a natural and renewable material. It comes from the bark of cork oak trees, native to Spain, Portugal and Tunisia. Cork floors aren't new, they've been used in construction for centuries. It's durabile, beautiful, and"green" . Cork flooring is:
- Durable - can last 40 years or more
- Healthy - resist mold and mildew
- Comfortable - because cork "gives" when pressed, it is comfortable under foot
- Safe - naturally fire-resistant
Cork floors are also
- Versatile - cork flooring is available in planks, tiles, and in a variety of colors
- Practical - the pattern and texture of cork floors, unlike vinyl flooring, isn't just skin deep. Even as it wears, the look you love will still be there
- Green - having little impact on the environment, cork can only be harvested from trees at least 25 years old. Cork trees live over 800 years.
- Cork flooring is made from a by-product of corks made for wine bottle
In addition to being used as surface flooring, cork can be used as an underlayment for hardwood, laminate and ceramic tiles to reduce room noise.